Boxwood Garden Club began in 1937, when our 14 Founding Members came together as The Westerly Club. We wrote our Constitution/By-laws, elected 16 additional members and our first President, and published a yearbook. The purpose of the club continues to be exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, including the education of its members and the general public. Since its beginning, Boxwood's mission has been to promote gardening among amateurs, to protect our native trees, wildflowers and birds, to conserve our natural resources, to restore and preserve historic gardens and to encourage civic planting. In 1939 our name was changed to The Boxwood Garden Club.
Our efforts have been well rewarded. Boxwood has won the GCV Massie Medal twice as a club and twice for individual members; we've shared the Bessie Bocock Carter Conservation Award with our three GCV sister clubs; we've won the DeLacey Gray Medal once as a club and once for a member; and seven of our members have won the GCV Horticulture Award of Merit.
Additionally, our members participate in Historic Garden Week and have consistently served on a variety of GCV committees and The Board, with one member serving as President.
Boxwood Garden Club members have set high standards for getting the job done with grace, determination and fun, and have worked side by side cultivating the soil and deep roots of friendship.
For a more detailed history from our 75th Anniversary celebration, click here.boxwood_history_12-14_text.docx
To view the Boxwood Garden Club 75th Anniversary Video, click here.
Our Accomplishments over 75 years